Wednesday 6 July 2011

Porter + Stout = Fun

Transformers, Robots in disguise.... no wait, this is about beer, loosely. Still, Transformers is on in the background, which is no bad thing. Right, where to start. I'm certainly no beer expert, but do enjoy trying new and varied beers from around the globe so have decided to keep a record of sorts (I'm pretty forgetful).

Stouts and Porters and Transformers certainly seems a good place to start. Megan Fox, hello! I digress. Stouts and Porters used to be beers I had trouble appreciating but certainly have developed a soft spot for over the past year or so. They always seemed a little dense and scary to me, and were distinctly coffee tinged to my novice palate.

Also, I MAY have been horribly sick after a beer festival after too many dark beers once.... and I mean SICK (all over the girlfriends jewellery box and curtains, quite a feat).

I also had a little brainwave when trying these beers. I'd first taste them alone and then try with some dark chocolate (Green and Blacks 70% dark chocolate in this case) to see how and indeed if the beers altered in any way. Hands up, I stole the inspiration for this from a wine tour I had been on here in Australia. An outstanding winery (try the Rose, SENSATIONAL) who with a tasting of a particular Shiraz gave you chocolate cake which brought out some amazing flavours and aromas in the Shiraz.


Beer number 1
- Traditional Scottish Ales (TSA) - Glencoe Organic Wild Oat Stout - 4.5%

Little or no head on pouring, what does that mean? Who knows... I have no clue what I'm on about. The beer smells quite fruity with hints of Blackberry (I do like fruit), Liquorice and Porridge.

On tasting it is initially quite malty like a mug of Horlicks, perfect for sending you off to sleep, with a hint of chocolate. On swallowing (ooerr) there is a big burnt coffee hit but the end result seems a little watery with little or no alcohol hit. A little disappointing if I'm honest.

Time for some chocolate I think (left it in the fridge, it's like a brick). If anything, after eating some of the dark, bitter chocolate it merely heightens how watery and weak this beer is... it simply doesn't stand up to that beast. I finished it anyway though.

5/10

Transformers watch - Megan is fixing a car, PHWOARRRRR.



Beer number 2
- Samuel Smiths - Oatmeal Stout - 5%

On pouring there is a foamy head which quickly disperses (hey, I'm getting good at this eh?). The predominant sniffs and smells seem to again be fruit based, with blueberries and prunes evident on my flaky palate. There is also a touch of smoke and sponge fruitcake (I'm hungry now).

The taste? Silky smooth with a hint of toffee and far fuller than the TSA, but still no massive alcohol hit (not necessarily a bad thing). This is very drinkable, raisins, mild coffee tones and some salty seaweed (on reading the label I learn it has seaweed finings, whatever those savage beasts are).

On consumption of some chocolate? Brings out the malty body a lot more and some floral tones. I still don't like coffee though, cup of tea any day, especially these.

6.5/10

Transformers watch - It is kicking OFF! Bumblebee is kicking the ass of a police car (which is unbelievable since he was a total lightweight in the original cartoons).



Beer number 3 - Youngs - Double Chocolate Stout - 5.2%

Surely this one will work? Caught my eye so gave it a whirl. The initial smell is without a doubt chocolate, duh! Smells almost like a dairy milk with burnt hints and a whole raft of fruits (prunes, plums, cherry). There is even the faint smell of treacle floating around somewhere in the back.

On tasting, again quite obvious, a vast chocolate hit which is quite creamy. It's very full bodied, almost like a meal in a glass (or perhaps a cold hot chocolate, or the milk that's left after a bowl of coco pops... you all like drinking that, don't lie).

One thing that becomes apparent is that this would be a great 'dessert beer'. I do like a good dessert wine, so I'll have to knock this one out sometime. Would work great with ice-cream, chocolate cake, brownies.

After a little solid chocolate..... well what do you think. If anything, ramps the taste up more, more bitterness yet still retains that silky, creamy taste.... I'm on a sugar high. A fun beer, if not very refined.

7/10

Back to the film - The autobots have just reduced Sam's garden to rubble. Optimus Prime even uttered the phrase 'my bad'.



Beer 4 - Harviestoun - Old Engine Oil - 6.0%

NEXXXTTT! I do like Harviestoun beers and am visiting the brewery tomorrow morning to buy some (I'm en route to T in the Park, would be rude not to). What we smelling here then? Lets bang them out - Figs, prunes, Fruitcake, Bourbon biscuit, cocoa, caramel, toffee. Lots going on, although I did have a bit of a boozy head on now.

The taste - Burnt chocolate, hints of rubber, with a bitter, lingering aftertaste. This I like though, so have no complaints. I'm getting hungry now (I had pork chops for my tea by the way, they were good).

Onto the ever diminishing chocolate. Most certainly enhances the bitterness, Awesome! Almost like a black IPA in places. Tasty, malty..... what am I on about? Sorry.

7/10

Film - BUMBLEBEEEEE!!!! NOOOOO!!!!! He's a bit fiesty that Sam. 'Bought a car, turned out to be an alien robot, who knew!' The wee joker he is.



Beer 5
- BrewDog - Riptide - 8%

Love them or loathe them (I love them) BrewDog make some interesting beers, and this is certainly no exception. I really love Alice Porter, but Riptide is one I've struggled to get to grips with.

The first thing that hits me is the massive fruit nose, all cranberry and hints of lemon. Little or no chocolate or coffee is apparent. In fact, it smells a little floral in places almost like Punk IPA or 5am Saint.

Given that this is the strongest of the drinks I've had tonight it's going to be a bit of a bad boy taste wise. You certainly get a big alcohol hit with a bitter finish at the back of the throat which lingers. I can feel it coating my throat, almost cough medicine like (but better tasting).

Better finish this chocolate too eh? Tasty! This actually seems to heighten the fruit and brings out an almost grapefruit hint, scary. Either that or I'm pissed. The bitter aftertaste is still there though, nice!

8/10

Film is almost over and Megatron is OWNING everyone. The swine!

No comments:

Post a Comment