Wednesday 17 August 2011

A step too far!

Ok, hands up, everyone has done it. What am I talking about? Getting WAY too drunk of course. I didn't mean to. How did it happen?

These past few weeks I'd been taking some well deserved time off the beer (I know, scandalous). I'd started a 3 week detox using Dr Joshi's highly recommended book. All good so far.

This plan bans all dairy / alcohol / red meat / wheat / gluten / fruit (except bananas) and a whole lot more. Did I find it difficult? No, not really. I enjoy cooking and eat pretty well as it is so loved whipping up some tasty new meals each night. What I did not enjoy was the weight loss and side effects I found myself experiencing.

I'm not exactly the biggest guy around, so to lose 3/4 of a stone in little over a week was a bit worrying. I also started to look pale, yellow, had no energy (played havoc with my already limited football prowess) and developed uncontrollable shakes in my arms and legs. My reaction. FUCK THIS! Two weeks is more than enough. I got right back on my usual, more balanced diet and have since felt my old self (whether a good thing or not remains to be seen).

Have I taken anything out of this exercise? Most certainly! I will be cooking far more balanced meals from scratch and keeping up the breakfast routine of water with a slice of lemon, a matcha tea shot (no this is not green cocaine despite how it may look) and a healthy balanced breakfast.

Anyway, where was I? Ah yes, getting too drunk. End of detox = celebration. Let's go for a Friday evening beer, shall we... shall we? Yes, why not. Why not indeed! Having forgone having an evening meal as I was only venturing out for 'the one' I sat myself down and proceeded to have a few sociable drinks and a few rounds of pub Jenga.

Several hours later I find myself a little confused in the little boys room wondering why my legs won't work after a lovely 'single fish'. Strange? I struggle my way back to my perch swaying around into people and decide immediately I must leave (wise move on my part). My head was fine, my body had given up the ghost. Does it end here? Of course not.

I use the beer compass to navigate my way home, then decide the ideal place to spend the evening would be snuggled up next to my friend the bathroom mat. In all fairness, she was very welcoming. Damn girlfiends and their iphones.

The moral of the story? Don't stop drinking. Your body will make you pay for it. Oh, and make sure you don't skip any meals. And no snacking in between.

I think I need a detox.

No comments:

Post a Comment